Citrus, Coffee and Chocolate Flavours
In this lesson, Sheila shares her vast knowledge on various cake flavourings and the ingredients used. Not only that, but she explains the different methods and quantities to use for each. Sheila takes us through some citrus flavours including orange, lemon and lime as well as coffee and chocolate.
Butter Cream Flavourings
Sheila tells us all about various butter cream flavourings she uses along with some wise tips and information on quantities.
In this lesson, she mentions her mint cream recipe which she has kindly shared with us and is available for download here or from the Ingredients tab above.
Become a member to access this plus hundreds more coursesMembership Options
Mrs Jones’ Recipes for Flavoured Fillings and Sugar Syrups for Cakes
Top tip: Strength of flavourings is a personal choice so please add them to taste.
BUTTERCREAM – see Paul’s recipe for Vanilla Buttercream (250g unsalted butter and 500g icing sugar).
Orange, Lemon or Lime
- Add grated zest of 2 large (or 3 – 4 medium) lemons, or 2 large (or 3 – 4 medium) oranges or 3 limes.
If you do not like the texture of zest, add the juice of the same amount of citrus fruit, strained first to remove pulp and pips.
- Add half teaspoon (tsp) Lemon Extract
Add 2 – 3 teaspoons (tsps) Limoncello
- Add 2 tsps Caramel Extract
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp) of tinned Carnation Caramel
- Dissolve 2 tbsps instant coffee in 2 tbsps boiling water, set aside to go cold before adding.
- Add 2 tsps Coffee Extract
- 2 – 3 tsps Coffee Liqueur
Add 250 – 300g melted, cooled white chocolate (minimum 20% cocoa content)
Add 2 tsps Rose Water
- Add 2 tsps Vanilla Extract
- Add seeds of 1 – 2 Vanilla pods.
- Add 1.5 tsps Vanilla Bean Paste
- Add 2 – 3 tsps Irish Cream or Bailey’s Liqueur
These are used to enhance the flavour of the cakes and keep them moist. Gently brush it onto the sponge using a pastry brush. Please do not apply too much or the sponge becomes a little soggy.
Download Mrs Jones’ delicious mint cream recipe.
Mrs Jones’ – Flavourings for Cakes
Using the recipe for my 10” round deep Vanilla Sponge here are some popular flavourings for cakes which we use in the kitchen regularly in place of Vanilla. Remember, flavourings are down to personal taste but I have provided a guide for you. I like to use the zest of use fresh citrus fruit where possible but there are plenty of flavoured extracts available which I have listed.
I add all the flavourings when I am creaming the butter and castor sugar together.
Lemon or Lime Sponge
- Add the finely grated zest of 5 medium sized fresh lemons or limes.
- Add 2 – 3 teaspoons (tsps) Neilson Massey Lemon Extract.
- Add the finely grated zest of 4 medium sized fresh oranges.
- Add 3 – 4 teaspoons Neilson Massey Orange Blossom Water.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons (tbsps) instant coffee dissolved in 50 mls of boiling water, allow to cool and add this to butter and sugar.
- Add 2 – 3 teaspoons Neilson Massey Coffee Extract
Chocolate Sponge – see Pauls recipe.
If using my recipe:
- Add 3 – 4 teaspoons (tsps) Neilson Massey’s Chocolate Extract.
- Remove 65g flour and replace with 65g unsweetened Cocoa Powder (not Drinking Chocolate
- Weighing Scales
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
Sheila Jones shares her award-winning recipes with us as well as top tips on delicious flavourings and fillings. If you're a keen baker and looking for ideas for some tasty new flavours, this one's for you!